Memoirs of a Geisha - Peter Goulden

T's Rates IT: T T T T T

The Final Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

T's Rates IT: T T

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

T's Rates IT: T T T T t

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Gregory Maguire

T's Rates IT: T T T T T

Belwether - Connie Willis

T's Rates IT: T T T T T

...

Failure To Launch

T's Rates IT: T T t

Mission Impossible 3

T's Rates IT: T T T t

X-Men III

T's Rates IT: T T T T T

...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

It ain't the years, It's the mileage. I was raised a military brat, and wanderlust still comes over me every 3 or 4 years. Still love to travel.

Friday, October 29, 2004

We certainly are a well connected society...

I've noticed in the last few years that the proliferation of personal communications devices, and I'm not just talking about Cell phones here folks, but PDA's, Laptops and other devices (and I've got 'em all) of that ilk, that were supposed to keep us better connected, are in fact having the opposite effect.

They are insulating or isolating us from interacting with our fellow man. Or even being aware of him.

Take a look on the street, the next time you are out and about...People are so busy looking into their tiny screens, or talking on the phone, that they are missing whatever is going on all around them. Is it that we are afraid to look around? Nah...But you can be so involved that it is almost discourteous to those around you! Should we be that oblivious?

I don't think so...It can be foolish, even dangerous to not be aware of what's going on around you.

Look at the folks with MP3 players plugged into their ears...Some of them are so oblivious to what's going on around them, that they are in danger of stepping in front of a moving bus! I gave up listening to my personal stereo after I figured out that I wasn't paying enough attention to what was going on right around me.

Bein' in the groove is one thing, but if you aren't careful you can be turned into slag without ever being aware of it.

And we are learning this stuff earlier and earlier in life...Gameboys, personal stereos, MP3 players all serve to insulate or isolate us. Is this a contributing factor to social disfunction?

Could be...

I've got three kids, ages 18, 19, and 20 years old. And they are good kids. I don't deserve to have such good kids. (If they only knew what their dear, old, dad had been up to when he was their age. But that's another story) I've felt that we were the first 2 generations that could actually have a lot in common. And as I get older, even our politics seem to be convergent. I mean, we even listen to a lot of the same music. Or did at one point, but my 18 year old can hardly get in the car with us without his MP3 player.

Kinda kills conversation don't it....

Now, I'm no Luddite, as I own or have owned most of these devices. But I don't want to be so well connected that you can find me anywhere, anytime. But this seems to be what society demands. Hell, the company I work for even pays for my cellphone so they can call me anytime, anywhen! What's worse, is I let 'em.

Sometimes I don't want to be found and believe me, you don't want to find me...

Comments on "We certainly are a well connected society..."

 

post a comment